Site Meter

Thursday, June 01, 2006

Vulcano

Not too many miles away from Mount Etna on Sicily are the Aeolian islands, one of the islands is Vulcano (from which the word Volcano is derived). It is possible to walk up to the crater to get a great view inside and of the rest of the island. There is a path around the whole crater, which has not erupted since around 1900. In some places the sulphur smell and gas means breath holding is a good idea. There are hot mud baths at the sea's edge and in places the water in the sea gets very hot.

The island is reached by hydrofoil from the nearby island of Lipari, a great satellite view is available showing how close these islands are.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice shots & story. When were you there? I suppose these were analog photos..

Rich said...

This was 2000, just out of shot someone had written "2000" in the crater, hope they had a gas mask. The photos are scanned from Agfa slide film.

Bethany said...

This photos are amazing. I'm feeling very jealous. I want to go see a volcano too! Beautiful stuff mate.

Nicola said...

Great shots. Looks like there's still not much vegetation there.

Dave MacIntyre said...

Simply amazing! I would love to see something like this, but I must admit I'm glad there are no angry volcanoes where I live!

The Alchemist said...

great set of shots man - looks like you have travelled to some great places too - im about to start my adventure in japan - i fly tuesday - will keep up the blog as soon as i get a connection sorted -

Anonymous said...

great images! I would love to one day visit a real volcano!! cheers :)

micki said...

I am speechless! That is something I would love to see in person!

A. B. Chairiet said...

I love the top one, the colors.

Great job, as always. :)

...

Happy June!

~ Ash

Anonymous said...

I agree with Micki: I would love to see this for myself! The dark stones look pretty amazing, especially with the steam all over the place.

Laurie said...

I want to get to this fascinating place one day. Gorgeous!